Searching for the perfect apartment rental can be a somewhat daunting task. Let’s say that you find a unit that checks lots of boxes on your wish list; prime location, monthly rent that meets your budget, and lots of natural light. It all looks great on paper…and then you enter the unit only to find a kitchen straight out of the Brady Bunch. Don’t let a less than aesthetically pleasing atmosphere take the attention away from the stuff that makes this place great. There are lots of easy fixes you can do yourself to modernize your new space and make it feel like home.
It’s said that the kitchen is the heart of every home, so why should your apartment rental be any different? Even the most horrendous kitchen can be transformed into a warm and inviting space with a few simple fixes.
- Appliances: Give outdated appliances a facelift by purchasing stainless steel contact paper. For about five dollars you can cover an entire refrigerator. It will make such a difference that your landlord may even ask you to leave it up!
- Backsplash: Adhesive tiles are becoming more and more popular, which means a greater variety of styles and colors for you to choose from. Not only will this help to update the kitchen, but it also makes for a simple way to change the look anytime you want!
- Cabinets: Consider using contact paper on antiquated or dingy cabinetry to give it a fresh look. Replacing drawer and cabinet pulls is also an inexpensive way to achieve this same effect. You may even want to consider removing the cabinets altogether for a bright, open, modern concept.
- Countertops: Hide ugly countertops by laying out pretty wooden cutting boards. Minimize clutter on the counter to draw your guest’s attention elsewhere.
If your landlord is a real stickler, simply painting your apartment rental may not be an option, but don’t worry. There are many other simple things you can do to draw attention away from bland, boring wall spaces.
- Removable Wallpaper: Much like adhesive tiles are growing in popularity so is removable wallpaper! With so many styles to choose from, it’s easy to add a pop of color and texture to any room.
- Art Gallery: Create a visual centerpiece on a dominant wall by neatly arranging a collection of your favorite art or pictures.
- Shelving: Add open shelving where you can display pictures, vases, and other decorative items. Although you will likely need to use screws, removing them at the end of your lease is fairly easy and holes can be patched and sanded quickly.
- Mirrors: Include large mirrors on walls that will not only act as a focal point, but also make rooms look bigger.
Another cheap and easy way to modernize your apartment rental is by temporarily replacing the fixtures.
- Lighting: Remove overhead light fixtures and replace with ones in your own style. Hold on to the originals for the end of your lease.
- Bathrooms & Kitchens: Replacing rusty, leaky, or ugly faucets and showerheads is relatively cost-effective and simple.
- Doorknobs: Replacing standard door knobs with fun, funky, and artistic ones is a great way to flaunt your style without breaking the bank.
The list of ways to revive your apartment rental could go on and on, but there are a few more miscellaneous fixes that you absolutely must know about.
- Faceplates: For next to nothing, you can go to any hardware store and purchase new faceplates for light switches and electrical outlets. It’s amazing how big of a difference just this simple thing can make. For a few pennies extra, you can invest in oversized faceplates that will hide drywall and paint imperfections around the outlet.
- Clean Up: Sometimes rejuvenating your space is as simple as giving it a good cleaning. Use your elbow grease to scrub away stains in tubs, sinks, and toilets, get pesky marks out of carpeting, and freshen up windows to allow natural light to pour in and create a warm atmosphere.
- Windows: Remove cheap blinds that may make your apartment rental feel more like a hotel than home. Replace with drapes that will compliment the rest of your décor.
- Invite the Outside In: Add a little life to your space by bringing in some greenery. Consider buying or building window boxes where you can plant herbs, or just scatter vases of flowers or low-maintenance plants throughout your home.
Searching for an Apartment Rental in the Hattiesburg Area?
Now that you know how fun and easy transforming an apartment rental can be, it’s time to find your new home. At Hattiesburg Apartments we offer our clients a vast array of quality properties to choose from. Our experienced team is here to help you find that space that checks off all of your boxes and we are excited to begin the search with you. Check out our huge selection of properties today and contact us to get started.